Topic 3 : Metabolic engineering of heterotrophic bacteria (Sugar to chemicals).
- After the biofuel revolution, there is a need to develop robust technologies for the conversion of sugars to value-added chemicals.
- The pathway typically involves 3-5 new genes and may additionally require knocking out of a few genes.
- This requires
- Synthetic biology tools for the organism of interest.
- Developing detailed metabolic models.
- LCMS-based metabolomics.
- Metabolic engineering and process engineering.
- The overall goal of the project is to engineer microorganisms for the conversion of agriculture-derived sugars to platform chemicals.