Information for shortlisted candidates called for a written test
The following information is relevant to those candidates who have been called for a written test
- TA, TAP, and FA topics: You have to submit your preferences on the TA/TAP/FA topics. TA/TAP/FA topics are available here.
- Information regarding filling up the preference form: Read the information regarding filling up the preference form.
- Online meeting to discuss admission process: An online discussion session will be organized to clarify the queries/issues that the candidates may have on the admission process/topic selection (TA/TAP/FA etc.) on November 25, 2023 at 11:30 A.M.
Recording of interaction session is available here
- Submission of preference (TA/TAP/FA topics) form: Submit the preference form on or before November 30, 2023.
Link to submit the preference form: https://forms.gle/z2QSdTgmekuHN3uR8
- Submission of presentation slides: The candidates shortlisted for the interviews should make a 5-minutes presentation consisting of 3-5 slides on the project/thesis/dissertation work carried out by them in the past. The presentation should include: i) objectives of the work, ii) methodology used, iii) key results, and iv) conclusions. The presentation should be converted to pdf format and named as RCLxxxx_presentation.pdf (for example,. RCL202310292_presentation.pdf). The presentation should be emailed to phd [dot] chemical [dot] iitb [at] gmail [dot] com on or before December 1, 2023.
- Written test and Interview: The written test will be conducted on December 5, 2023 at Room No. 112, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay campus. Reporting time is 9:00 AM. Exam duration: 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM. Based on the performance in the written test, the candidates are shortlisted for the in-person interviews to be held on the 5th, 6th, and 7th of December 2023.
- Accommodation during written test and interview: To book your accommodation for your upcoming written test and/or interview at the IIT Bombay campus, you will receive information in your application portal one week before the date of your interview.
Application to Centre for Research in Nanotechnology & Science (CRNTS), IIT Bombay
If you want to apply for Centre for Research in Nanotechnology & Science (CRNTS), IIT Bombay, refer to the Ph.D topics floated by faculty member and fill the google form to submit your application. Note that CRNTS is not a part of the department of Chemical Engineering, it is a separate center at IIT Bombay, where faculty members from different departments/schools of IIT Bombay are working together in the broad areas of Nanotechnology.
Topics available in the link below
To apply for a maximum of four topics fill the google form geven below
on or before 5:00 pm 01-December-2023.
For more information on Ph.D admission in the department of Chemical Engineering refer to the following sections.
PhD Admission Information
Application process for admission in Ph.D. programme for the Spring 2023-2024 session has commenced. Please check the IITB admissions website for details. Information regarding the interview process and schedule is available now. The written test and the interview (for the shortlisted candidates) will be conducted on the 5th, 6th, and 7th of December 2023 in the Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay.
The Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay, has a dynamic post-graduate program with opportunities and a strong emphasis on basic and applied research in various areas, including several interdisciplinary fields. This post-graduate program includes a large number of Ph.D. scholars who primarily contribute to the Department's research activities. The Department recruits Ph.D. scholars twice a year in sync with our semester system.
Candidates with a Master's or Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technology or a Master's in Science are eligible to apply. Most candidates who apply have Chemical Engineering or Biotechnology backgrounds, but the Department invites candidates from other backgrounds, especially in the context of carrying out interdisciplinary research.
For admission to the Ph.D. program in the Chemical Engineering department minimum requirements are (one of) the following
- B.Tech./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in Chemical Engineering.
- B.Tech./ M.Tech. or equivalent degree in any branch of Engineering/ Chemical Technology and Interdisciplinary areas.
M.Sc. in disciplines consistent with the research areas of the Department.
Selection for the Ph.D. program will be through a three-stage procedure.
- Stage-1: Shortlisting of the candidate to call for a written test is done based on academic performance in qualifying examinations and GATE score.
- Stage-2: Written test: Written test will be conducted on 5th December 2023 at the IIT Bombay campus.
- Stage-3, Interview: If you are shortlisted based on your performance in the written test, you will have to appear for an interview (In-person) which will be conducted on 5th, 6th, and 7th of December 2023 in the department of Chemical Engineering IIT Bombay.
Interviews will focus on the following areas.
2.1 Project work: If you are shortlisted for an interview, you may be asked to discuss the project/thesis topic you have completed as a part of your qualifying degree.
2.2 Interview on courses done: You have to mention your preference for a couple of courses you have taken in your Bachelor's or Master's program. You will be asked fundamental questions from these courses.
2.3 Research Interest: During the interview, you may be asked about the broad areas of research you are interested in. You should be aware of the recent status of research in that area. It is not mandatory that you have to pursue your research only in that area. But the purpose is to test your awareness and critical thinking about an area in which you are probably interested in. The Interview panel may ask you about your future objective and how the doctoral program will help you to achieve your goal.
Additional information for admission under TA, TAP, and FA categories:
You have to submit a preference for the TAP/FA topics against the topics uploaded on this page on November 21, 2023. Even if you are interested in a TA position, providing a preference on a TAP topic will improve your chances of getting an offer. If you have been awarded a JRF from CSIR/DBT or other funding agency and have your own fellowship, then only you are eligible to opt for FA topics.
You have to submit your topic preferences in a google form (which will be shared on this web page) on or before 30th November 2023.
We request you to visit this webpage frequently for updated information.
Admissions to the PhD program of IIT Bombay can be obtained by qualifying under any of the following categories:
- Teaching / Research Assistantship (TA/RA): The best candidates who make it through our selection process are awarded IIT Bombay funded teaching assistantships or research assistantships.
- Teaching Assistantship through Project (TAP): Candidates are offered financial support originating from sponsored projects; such projects have a faculty from the Department as the principal investigator (PI) and selected candidates pursue a PhD (with that PI as thesis supervisor) in the given topic. The projects are typically funded by the Department of Science of Technology (DST), Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), etc. The student is paid scholarships throughout the length of the project; this could vary from 2.5 to 5 years. In cases where the duration is less than five years, IIT Bombay pays the student equivalent salary for the remaining time at IIT (i.e., up to 5 years).
- Govt./Semi Govt. Fellowship Award (FA): Candidates have their own sources of funding via scholarships such as those from CSIR, UGC, DBT, ICMR, or DST-Inspire. After joining a lab in the Department, you will have to activate that scholarship.
- Project Staff (PS): For individuals who are already working as Project Staff members at IIT Bombay.
- External candidates(EX): For candidates sponsored by recognized Government and Private R & D organizations, for example, BARC, DRDO, Reliance Industries, TCS, etc.
- College Teacher (CT): For candidates working in Colleges / Educational Institutes.
For more details, refer to the information brochure available on the IITB admission page (https://www.iitb.ac.in/newacadhome/phd.jsp)
The department is involved in a variety of frontier and traditional areas in chemical engineering research. More details and the list of faculty working in various areas are given here.
- Biological Systems Engineering
- Chemical and Electrochemical Reaction Engineering
- Fluid and Granular Mechanics
- Soft Matter Engineering
- Process Systems Engineering
- Thermodynamics and molecular simulations