Updated on 5th Dec 2022
Ph. D. Admission to the Centre for Research in Nanotechnology and Science (CRNTS):
If you are shortlisted in the written test conducted by chemical engineering department and interested in Ph. D. admission to the Centre for Research in Nanotechnology and Science (CRNTS):
- Fill out the application form using the link provided below.
- Please read the Ph.D. topics offered by CRNTS in the following link
- Submit your preferences for up to two topics using the following google link before 6th December 2022, 6:00 pm
The following information is relevant to those candidates who have been called for written test
- TAP and FA topics: You have to submit your preferences on the TA/TAP/FA topics. TAP/FA topics are available here.
- Information regarding filling up the preference form: Read the information regarding filling up the preference form.
- Submission of preference (TAP/FA topics) form: Submit the preference form on or before 30-Nov-2022.
- Link to submit the preference form: https://forms.gle/GH9qQ8Bxm7EB46Kp8
- Submission of presentation slides: The candidates shortlisted for the interviews should make a 5-minutes presentation consisting of 3-5 slides on the project/thesis/dissertation work carried out by them in the past. The presentation should include: i) objectives of the work, ii) methodology used, iii) key results, and iv) conclusions. The presentation should be converted to pdf format and named as RCL____presentation.pdf (for example,. RCL202210292_presentation.pdf). The presentation should be emailed to phd [dot] chemical [dot] iitb [at] gmail [dot] com on or before 30-Nov-2022.
- Written test and Interview: written test will be conducted on 5-Dec-2022 at the Lecture Hall Complex (LH101) at IIT Bombay campus. Reporting time is 9:00 AM. Exam duration: 9:30 AM to 10:30 AM. Based on the performance in the written test, the candidates are shortlisted for the in-person interviews to be held on the 5th or 6th of December 2022.
For more information refer to the following sections.
Processing of Ph.D. applications for admissions to the Spring 2022-2023 session has commenced. Please check the IITB admissions website for details. Information regarding the interview process and schedule is available now. The written test and the interview (for the shortlisted candidates) will be conducted on the 5th and 6th of December in the Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay.
The Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay, has a dynamic post-graduate program with opportunities and a strong emphasis on basic and applied research in various areas, including several interdisciplinary fields. This post-graduate program includes a large number of Ph.D. scholars who primarily contribute to the Department's research activities. The Department recruits Ph.D. scholars twice a year in sync with our semester system.
Candidates with a Master's or Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Technology or a Master's in Science are eligible to apply. Most candidates who apply have Chemical Engineering or Biotechnology backgrounds, but the Department invites candidates from other backgrounds, especially in the context of carrying out interdisciplinary research.
For admission to the Ph.D. program in the Chemical Engineering department minimum requirements are (one of) the following
- B.Tech./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in Chemical Engineering.
- B.Tech./ M.Tech. or equivalent degree in any branch of Engineering/ Chemical Technology and Interdisciplinary areas.
- M.Sc. in disciplines consistent with the research areas of the Department.
Selection for the Ph.D. program will be through a three-stage procedure.
- Stage-1: Shortlisting of the candidate to call for a written test is done based on academic performance in qualifying examinations and GATE score.
- Stage-2: Written test: Written test will be conducted on 5th December 2022 at the IIT Bombay campus.
( Sample question paper for the written test is available here.)
- Stage-3, Interview: If you are shortlisted based on your performance in the written test, you will have to appear for an interview (In-person) on the 5th or 6th of December 2022.
Interviews will focus on the following areas.
2.1 Project work: If you are shortlisted for an interview, you may be asked to discuss the project/thesis topic you have completed as a part of your qualifying degree.
2.2 Interview on courses credited: You have to mention your preference for a couple of courses you have taken in your Bachelor's or Master's program. You will be asked fundamental questions from these courses.
2.3 Research Interest: During the interview, you may be asked about the broad areas of research you are interested in. You should be aware of the recent status of research in that area. It is not mandatory that you have to pursue your research only in that area. But the process is to test your awareness and critical thinking about an area in which you are probably interested in. The Interview panel may ask you about your future objective and how the doctoral program will help you to achieve your goal.
2.4 Presentations: The candidates shortlisted for the interviews should make a 5-minutes presentation consisting of 3-5 slides on the project/thesis/dissertation work carried out by them in the past. The presentation should include: i) objectives of the work, ii) methodology used, iii) key results, and iv) conclusions. The presentation should be converted to pdf format and named as RCL____presentation.pdf (for example,. RCL202210292_presentation.pdf). The presentation should be emailed to phd [dot] chemical [dot] iitb [at] gmail [dot] com on or before 30-Nov-2022.
Additional information for admission under TAP and FA categories:
You have to submit a preference for the TAP/FA topics against the topics uploaded on this page on 3rd December 2022. Even if you are interested in a TA position, providing a preference on a TAP topic will improve your chances of getting an offer. If you have been awarded a JRF from CSIR/DBT or other funding agency and have your own fellowship, then only you are eligible to opt for FA topics.
TAP/FA topics are available here.
You have to submit your topic preferences in a google form (which will be shared on this web page) on or before 30th November 2022.
We request you to visit this webpage frequently for updated information.
If you need any clarification please contact us at phd1 [dot] chemical [dot] iitb [at] gmail [dot] com
Admissions to the PhD program of IIT Bombay can be obtained by qualifying under any of the following categories:
- Teaching / Research Assistantship (TA/RA): The best candidates who make it through our selection process are awarded IIT Bombay funded teaching assistantships or research assistantships. These scholars have the flexibility to select thesis topics and supervisors after one semester of coursework, after research-exposure talks on the various research areas in the Department, and in consultation with a number of faculty.
For the other scholarship categories below, chosen candidates are made immediate offers against specific topics and supervisors.
- Teaching Assistantship through Project (TAP): Candidates are offered financial support originating from sponsored projects; such projects have a faculty from the Department as the principal investigator (PI) and selected candidates pursue a PhD (with that PI as thesis supervisor) in the given topic. The projects are typically funded by the Department of Science of Technology (DST), Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), etc. The student is paid scholarships throughout the length of the project; this could vary from 2.5 to 5 years. In cases where the duration is less than five years, IIT Bombay pays the student equivalent salary for the remaining time at IIT (i.e., up to 5 years).
- Govt./Semi Govt. Fellowship Award (FA): Candidates have their own sources of funding via scholarships such as those from CSIR, UGC, DBT, ICMR, or DST-Inspire. After joining a lab in the Department, you will have to activate that scholarship.
- Project Staff (PS): For individuals who are already working as Project Staff members at IIT Bombay.
- External candidates(EX): For candidates sponsored by recognized R & D organizations, for example, BARC, DRDO, etc.
- College Teacher (CT): For candidates working in Colleges / Educational Institutes.
For more details, refer to the information brochure available on the IITB admission page (https://www.iitb.ac.in/newacadhome/phd.jsp)
- Biotechnology & Bio-Systems Engineering
- Catalysis and Reaction Engineering
- Energy & Environment
- Materials Engineering
- Process Systems Engineering
- Transport, Colloids, and Interface Science