Topic 2 : Synthetic biology and metabolic engineering of cyanobacteria (CO2 to chemicals).
- Cyanobacteria are photosynthetic prokaryotes.
- We have isolated fast-growing and robust cyanobacteria from Powai lake.
- We are developing these cyanobacteria as hosts for metabolic engineering. This involves:
- Detailed metabolomic, proteomic and transcriptomic characterization.
- Developing detailed metabolic models.
- Development of synthetic biology tools (on par with those available for E coli)
- Overall goal of the proposed project will be to develop processes for photosynthetic production of chemicals from CO2 using engineered cyanobacteria.