Updated 07 May 2022 11:49 PM
Please refer to the schedule (attached below) for your interview. Even though we have provided you with a timeslot, since the interview will be conducted in VC mode, the timeslot may be advanced or postponed. Therefore, you need to be available for the entire session from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm if your interview is scheduled in the forenoon session, and from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm if your interview is scheduled in the afternoon session. One writing pad/paper and pen should be available with you during the interview process. IIT Bombay representatives, who are helping in conducting the interview through VC mode, will call you and make you familiarize with different platforms which will be used for the interview. If you need any clarification, write to us at phd1 [dot] chemical [dot] iitb [at] gmail [dot] com.
Updated 08 May 2022 (10.28 AM)
The following information is relevant to those candidates who have been called for interview
- Submission of preferences: You have to submit your preferences on the TA/TAP/FA topics. TAP/FA topics are available here.
- Information regarding preference of topics: Read the information regarding filling up the preference form.
- An online discussion session will be organized to clarify the doubts regarding the admission process/topic selection (TA/TAP/FA etc.) on 30th April 2022 at 11:30 a.m. Link to join the online meeting (via zoom) : https://zoom.us/j/96457759034?pwd=OFZ2VW5LbkEyOHJxQmpZUW1hcm85QT09
Online recording of the session is available here.
- Submission of preference form: Submit the preference form on or before 3rd May 2022. Link to submit the preference form: https://forms.gle/CV6k1osVg123pQWg8
- Submission of project report: You have to email your project report to phd [dot] chemical [dot] iitb [at] gmail [dot] com on or before 3rd May 2022. Rename your project report as “RCL____ _project.pdf” (e.g. RCL202210292_project.pdf). In the subject of the mail please write your RCL number. Please do not use this email id for any other communication. Here the project report refers to the project you have conducted during fulfilling your qualifying degree. If it was not part of your academic requirement, then type one document declaring that, sign it and send it to us following the above mentioned procedure. If your project is not yet completed, write a brief description on objective, methodology, results obtained till date.
- Presentation on the day of interview: Prepare 3-5 slides on your project/thesis/dissertation work. You should present in about five minutes, the objectives of your work, methodology used, key results and conclusions.
- If you need any clarification please contact us at phd1 [dot] chemical [dot] iitb [at] gmail [dot] com
- Interview: An online interview (Video Conference mode) through WebEx/Google-meet/Zoom etc., will be conducted between 10th and 13th May 2022. The specific slot/time of each candidate’s interview will be uploaded on the web page of the Chemical Engineering Department (https://www.che.iitb.ac.in/phd-admission-information) on 7th May 2022.
- PhD Admission in CRNTS: (Please note that this center is NOT part of the Chemical Engineering Department, and is an independent Centre at IIT Bombay.)
- If you have been called for an interview in the Department of Chemical Engineering, you are eligible to apply to CRNTS for the Ph.D. program at CRNTS against the listed topics (see attachment below).
- If you are interested in applying, please fill out both the google forms link provided below. The first form is to express your interest and the second form is to provide your topic preferences at CRNTS.
- Form 1: https://forms.office.com/r/7ixsmCaJyY (PhD Admissions (May 2022) - CRNTS Department)
- Form 2: https://forms.gle/a8kpuvEBSPz6upga8 (Topic preferences for CRNTS)
- Note that an application to CRNTS does not necessarily imply that you will be called for an interview In that department. CRNTS may have its own subsequent shortlisting criteria.
- Also, note that whether you apply to CRNTS or not, has no bearing on the Ph.D. admissions process/outcome in the Chemical Engineering Department.
The interested candidates should fill both the forms by 5th May 2020, 11:59 PM.
Processing of Ph.D. applications for admissions to the Autumn 2022-2023 session has commenced. Please check the IITB admissions website for details. Information regarding the interview process and schedule is available now.
he Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay, has a dynamic post-graduate program with opportunities and a strong emphasis on basic and applied research in various areas, including several interdisciplinary fields. This post-graduate program includes a large number of Ph.D. scholars who primarily contribute to the department's research activities. The department recruits Ph.D. scholars twice a year, in sync with our semester system.
Candidates with a Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Technology or a Master’s in Science are eligible to apply. Most candidates who apply have Chemical Engineering or Biotechnology backgrounds, but the department invites candidates from other backgrounds, especially in the context of carrying out interdisciplinary research.
For admission to the Ph.D. program in Chemical Engineering department minimum requirements are (one of)
- B.Tech./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in Chemical Engineering.
- B.Tech./ M.Tech. or equivalent degree in any branch of Engineering/ Chemical Technology and Interdisciplinary areas.
- M.Sc. in disciplines consistent with the research areas of the department.
Selection procedure and sample questions
Selection for the Ph.D program will be through a two-stage procedure.
1. Stage-1: Shortlisting is done based on academic performance in qualifying examinations and GATE score.
2. Stage-2, Interview: If you are shortlisted and called for an interview, you will have to appear for an online interview (Video Conference mode) through WebEx/Google-meet, etc., between 10th May and 13th May 2022. The exact date and slot/time of the interview will be uploaded on this page. Interviews will focus on the following areas.
2.1 Project work: If you are called for an interview, you have to email your project report to phd [dot] chemical [dot] iitb [at] gmail [dot] com on or before 3rd May 2022. Rename your project report as “RCL____ _project.pdf” (e.g. RCL202210292_project.pdf). In the subject of the email, please write your RCL number. Please do not use this email id for any other communication.
2.2 Research Interest: During the interview, you may be asked about the broad areas of research you are interested in. You should be aware of the recent status of research in that area. It is not mandatory that you have to pursue your research only in that area. But the process is to test your awareness and critical thinking about an area in which you are probably interested in. The Interview panel may ask you about your future objective and how the doctoral program will help you to achieve your goal.
2.3 Interview on courses credited: You have to mention your preference of one or two courses you have taken in your Bachelor's or Master’s program. You will be asked fundamental questions from these courses.
Additional information for admission under TAP and FA categories:
You have to submit a preference for the TAP/FA topics against the topics uploaded on this page on 22nd April 2022. Even if you are interested in a TA position, providing a preference on a TAP topic will improve your chances of getting an offer. If you have been awarded a JRF from CSIR/DBT or other funding agency and have your own fellowship, then only you are eligible to opt for FA topics. On this page, TAP/FA topics will be made available by 22nd April 2022.
You have to submit your topic preferences in a google form (which will be shared on this web page) on or before 3rd May 2021.
More information regarding TAP/FA topics will be available on 22nd April 2022. We request you to visit this webpage frequently for updated information.
Admissions to the PhD programme of IIT Bombay can be obtained by qualifying under any of the following categories:
- Teaching / Research Assistantship (TA/RA): The best candidates who make it through our selection process are awarded IIT Bombay funded teaching assistantships or research assistantships. These scholars have the flexibility to select thesis topics and supervisors after one semester of coursework, after exposure talks on the various research areas in the Department, and in consultation with a number of faculty.
For the other scholarship categories below, chosen candidates are made immediate offers against specific topics and supervisors.
- Teaching Assistantship through Project (TAP): Candidates are offered financial support originating from sponsored projects; such projects have a faculty from the department as the principal investigator (PI) and selected candidates pursue a PhD (with that PI as thesis supervisor) in the given topic. The projects are typically funded by the Department of Science of Technology (DST), Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) etc. The student is paid scholarships throughout the length of the project; this could vary from 2.5 to 5 years. In cases where the duration is less than 5 years, IIT Bombay pays the student equivalent salary for the remaining time at IIT (i.e. up to 5 years). Before the interview candidates are asked to submit their preferences on the TAP topics. Therefore, you are requested to review the topics which will be announced after 30th April on this page.
- Govt./Semi Govt. Fellowship Award (FA): Candidates have their own sources of funding via scholarships such as those from CSIR, UGC, DBT, ICMR, or DST-Inspire. On joining a lab in the Department, you will have to activate that scholarship. FA topics will be made available by 30th April, 2021 in this page.
- Project Staff (PS): For individuals who are already working as Project Staff members, at IIT Bombay.
- External candidates(EX): For candidates sponsored by recognized R & D organizations, for example BARC, DRDO etc.
- College Teacher (CT): For candidates working in Colleges / Educational Institutes.
(These are general Institute guidelines)
Students joining Ph.D. programme will be placed in the above categories based on the following norms:
- Those Students having B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Arch/ M.Phil./B.Sc.(engg)/ M.Sc./ M.A./ M.Com. or equivalent and who have either a valid GATE or National Level test - UGC/ CSIR/ NBHM etc. subject to financial support from respective organisation) and Management students with M.B.A. qualification with Science/ Commerce background will be considered for assistantships under the JRF category.
- Those students having M.Tech./M.E./M Arch./ Msc(Engg) or equivalent qualification with Engineering/ Technical background will be considered for assistantship under the SRF category.
- The assistantship is paid for a maximum period of 5 years for candidates with B.E. / B. Tech./M.Sc. as qualifying degree and maximum period of 5 years for candidates with M.E./ M.Tech. as qualifying degree.
- The above assistantship requires that the student assist in teaching or research, as assigned by the Institute, to the extent of 8 hours of work per week. The continuation of the assistantship will be subject to satisfactory performance of the duties assigned by the Department as well as satisfactory academic performance.
- Students getting assistantships from the Institute can later join projects sponsored by external agencies DST, DBT, CSIR etc. and obtain corresponding TAP or FA fellowships.
The department is involved in a variety of frontier and traditional areas in chemical engineering research. More details and the list of faculty working in various areas are given here.
- Biotechnology & Bio-Systems Engineering
- Catalysis and Reaction Engineering
- Energy & Environment
- Materials Engineering
- Process Systems Engineering
- Transport, Colloids, and Interface Science