Application forms can be downloaded from IITB website.
An Examination for the selected candidates will be held at 1000 hrs (candidates to reporty by 0930 hrs) followed by interviews for shortlisted candidates from 1200 hrs on 6 May 2010 at the Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Bombay, Powai, Mumbai.
For admission to the Ph.D. programme in chemical engineering department minimum requirements are (one of)
- B.Tech./M.Tech. or equivalent degree in Chemical Engineering.
- B.Tech./ M.Tech. or equivalent degree in any branch of Engineering/ Chemical Technology and Interdisciplinary
- M.Sc. in disciplines consistent with the research areas of the department.
Admissions to the PhD programme of IIT Bombay can be obtained by qualifying under any of the following categories:
- TA/RA Category: IIT Bombay Teaching Assistantship and Research Assistantship. In this the scholarships are paid from IIT Bombay funds. The students could have a flexibility to work in an area of their choice.
- TAP Category: The TAP postions refer to Project Staff positions that are funded by external agencies. The students get an opportunity to work in frontier areas of chemical engineering research, which are funded by agencies such as Department of Science of Technology (DST), Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) etc. The student is paid scholarships throughout the length of the project which could vary from 2-4 years. In cases where the duration is less than 4 years, IIT-Bombay pays the student equivalent salary for the remaining time at IIT (i.e. up to 4 years).
The monthly stipend for the various categories are given in this page. In addition, the students are eligible to a hostel accommodation, or a separate 30% HRA in the case of TAP category.
Students joining Ph.D. programme will be placed in the abovecategories based on the following norms:
- Those Students having B.E./ B.Tech./ B.Arch/ M.Phil./B.Sc.(engg)/ M.Sc./ M.A./ M.Com. or equivalent and who have either a valid GATE or National Level test - UGC/ CSIR/ NBHM etc. subject to financial support from respective organisation) and Management students with M.B.A. qualification with Science/ Commerece background will be considered for assistantships under the JRF category.
- Those student having M.Tech./M.E./M Arch./ Msc(Engg) or equivalent /M.B.B.S./MD/MS and Management students with M.B.A. qualification with Engineering/ Technical background will be considered for assistantship under the SRF category.
- The assistantship is paid for maximum period of 5 years for candidates with B.E. / B. Tech./M.Sc. as qualifying degree and maximum period of 4 years for candidates with M.E./ M.Tech. as qualifying degree.
- The above assistantship require that the students assist in teaching or research, as assigned by the Institute, to the extent of 8 hours of work per week. The continuation of the assistantship will be subject to satisfactory performance of the duties assigned by the Department/ Centre/school/ as well as satisfactory academic performace.
- Students getting assistantships from the Institute can later join projects sponsored by external agencies like ARDB, DST, CSIR etc. and obtain corresponding fellowships.