publications last year alone24
GROUP 1 To engineer a cyanobacterial strain to produce succinate, n-butanol, etc.
n-butanol (>4 g/L), succinate (>5 g/L)
To genetically engineer a microalgal strain to produce high amounts of lipids, oil or ethanol
• Maximize biomass yield in photobioreactor
• Designing optimal photobioreactors
• Cost effective algal harvesting
• Hydrogen production from algal biomass
• Technology package development for Post harvest Processi
• Catalytic upgrading of bio-oil to transport fuel
• Development of low cost Microbial Carbon Capture (MCC) cells for continuos algal culture and power generation.
• Engineering enzymes with desirable properties
• Simultaneous transport of hexose and pentose sugars in Zymomonas mobilis
• Butanol production in Clostridium sp.
• Control design for simultaneous saccharification and fermentation
• Bioethanol production by fractional hydrolysis and cofermentation
Studying the techno-economic feasibility of integrated biorefineries and the life cycle impact assessment of lignocellulosic biofuels and its applications in India.
Center Facilities at IIT-B
The DBT Pan-IIT Centre for Bioenergy has a central facility with a host of state-of-the-art equipment and expertise currently located at IIT-B. These are available for a fee to both academics and industry for a fee. A few examples are shown below. Clockwise:
- Multicultivator with online monitoring of optical density
- Temperature and light regulated growth chamber